This summer I’ve been really into Tequila! And today just happens to be National Tequila Day! There are so many new, fun concoctions out there, so I thought I would round up some of my favorites. I used to make some of these back in Hawaii on the cruise ship, a couple I have had on the strip in Vegas and have been seeing some fun ones here in buffalo too!
Whichever you choose, always make sure to use a good tequila! Not only will it taste better, but it will make a world of difference the next morning! TRUST ME!
My go-to has been the Skinny Margarita which I made tonight to celebrate National Tequila Day! Below is a great recipe for it, as well as a few more fun ones to try!
- To rim the glass: kosher salt, lime wedge
- 1 1/2 ounces silver tequila (about 3 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 large or 1 1/2 small limes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1/2 medium orange)
- 1 teaspoon light agave nectar (I prefer to leave out)
- Rim the glass: Pour a thin layer of salt onto a small plate. Rub a lime wedge around the top edge of your glass to moisten it, then dip the glass into the salt so that it sticks, tapping all the way around. Fill the glass with ice and set aside.
- Fill a small cocktail shaker with additional ice. Add the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, and agave. Tightly close and shake vigorously for at least 30 seconds (it’s longer than you think). Strain into the rimmed glass over the ice. Enjoy immediately.
*Recipe from Well Plated
- 2 oz tequila blanco
- ½ oz Cointreau
- ½ oz lime juice
- 4 oz ginger beer (good quality store-bought or homemade)
- Lime wedges and jalapeño slices for garnish
Fill a copper mug or tumbler with ice. Pour in tequila, Cointreau, lime juice and cold ginger beer. Stir and garnish with lime wedge and jalapeño slices.
*Recipe from What Should I Make For…
Makes 2 Mojitos
- Handful of fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/2 limes quartered
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 2 oz Tequila
- 2 cups ice
- soda water
- sprigs of mint for garnish
Place the ice cubes, mint leaves, Tequila and simple syrup in the blender or cocktail shaker. Squeeze in the juice from the limes and divide the limes between each glass. Blend or shake until well combined. Divide between the glasses and top with soda water and sprigs of mint.
*To make the simple syrup, place 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool completely before decanting into a sterilised bottle. Refrigerate for up to 1 month.
*Recipe from Delicious Everyday
- 1 ounce tequila
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup
- 2 ounces grapefruit juice
- 3 ounces dry white sparkling wine
- Pour tequila, simple syrup and grapefruit juice in champagne glass and stir gently to combine.
- Add chilled sparkling wine and serve immediately.
*Recipe from Garnish With Lemon
Blood Orange Margarita
- 2 ounces silver/blanco tequila
- 2 ounces fresh blood orange juice (about 1 large blood orange, juiced)
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice (about 1 lime, juiced)
- 1 teaspoon light agave nectar
- 1 tiny drop pure vanilla extract (optional)
Salt and brown sugar rim (use all salt if you want)
- 2 teaspoons kosher sea salt and/or Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Mix together the salt and sugar on a small plate (preferably one just slightly larger than the top of your margarita glass). Run a wedge of lime around the top of your glass. Dip the top of the glass into the salt blend at a 45-degree angle and roll it from side to side to catch the salt. Add ice cubes to your glass and set it aside.
- Fill a small cocktail shaker with ice. Pour in the tequila, freshly squeezed blood orange and lime juice and agave nectar. If desired, add a drop of vanilla extract (don’t pour it straight from the bottle, I used the blunt end of a fork as a dropper).
- Put on the lid and shake for 30 seconds. Strain the liquid into your glass and garnish with a slice of blood orange, if desired.
Dragon Fruit Margarita
- 1 Pitaya Smoothie Pack or 1 small scoop of Pitaya Cubes
- 4 ounce Tequila
- 2 ounce fresh Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Agave
- Splash of Orange Juice
- 1 cup or 8 ounces of Ice
- Slice of Lime
- Combine all ingredients into a blender
- Blend on medium to high for 30 seconds
- Salt rim is desired*
- Pour into a glass and enjoy:)
*Recipe from Pitaya Plus
Which cocktail sounds the best to you? I would love to hear if you try any! Cheers friends!